Saturday 14 July 2012

Premier Pli Issue 2


“I don’t like nostalgia unless it’s mine” Lou Reed

From First Fold Records: "premier pli is a journal of newly commissioned work containing writing, images and sounds. Each issue features a guest editor who selects a theme to inspire, challenge and shape the contributors’ submissions."

For this edition of Premier Pli I made a series of small objects inspired by the theme ‘Nostalgia’ which was chosen by Premier Pli editors Pierre & Karlheinz. These objects are intended to function as memory aids and time-machines, a link from the 'now' me to the me in the past. They are a manifestation of my desire to believe that personal trinkets possess innate magical properties, memory's ability to juxtapose facts and fictions into one flawless entity and the fan-fetishism associated with film props. All of my objects are made by hand using children's craft/ art materials and techniques.


‘Hope You Are Well (1986)’

Papier mache, wood, ash, ink, colouring pencil

28.5 x 11 x 11 cm
Papier mache urn containing the ashes of a letter (dated February 28th, 1986) that I had written to Steven Spielberg in admiration for his directing and producing skills and for the film ‘The Goonies.’ The urn is a marker of a past version of me, an aid to remember but also an encouragement to move on.


‘What I Really Need (1977)’

Gold fabric, gold thread

6.1 x 5.3 x 2.6cm
Replica of a cloak worn by an original Kenner Jawa action figure. My fabricated cloak is a fools-gold version of the original object and appears to be more attractive and valuable than the authentic item. It serves to illustrate how our memory tricks us and gilds the past with adornments and wonder.


  
Implant (1982)’

Acorn, spider silk, pin, aluminium

20.2 x 3.7 x 3.7 cm
 An acorn given to me by my son is the focus of this object. The acorn’s cupule is precariously supported on a pin while the seed is suspended on what appears to be a fragile thread. The acorn’s seed is, in fact, supported on a thread of spider silk, one of the strongest materials currently known. In its balance and serenity, this highly personal and sentimental object illustrates how memory can betray actual events and facts. This delicate work no longer exists. It is now just another memory saved for prosperity in these photographs.

 
‘The Power of Love (1985)’
Shrinkable plastic, tooth-pick, cardboard, modelling clay, acrylic, colouring pencil, felt-tip pen
4.7 x 9.6 x 4.2
This is a 'handi-craft' version of my mum’s old Datsun Sunny with ‘Back to the Future’ De Lorean time-travel customisation. Personal trinkets can function as ‘nostalgia triggers’, time-travel devices to take you back to a certain time and/ or place.

I also recorded an audio contribution entitled 'My Density' for Premier Pli's cover CD. The track is an attempt to adopt music production methods and styles that I used when I first started making electronic music. It is inspired by ‘Back to the Future’ and pays homage to ‘The Power of Love’ by Huey Lewis and The News.

Premier Pli 2 is available now through First Fold Records
Dimensions: 14.8×21 cm
Extent: 62 pages
Colours: Full Colour
Format: Perfect Bound including an 11 track CD
Series: Magazine/Journal
Edition: 150 





No comments:

Post a Comment